fredag 27 juli 2018

Welcome, little one.




Greetings from the other side.

It has taken me a bit longer than planned to write this new post for the blog. The reason for this is the birth of my daughter, which has meant that all plans I might have had previously has taken a back-seat to changing diapers and helping my wife in any way I can. I must say I am really enjoying my new responsibilities. :) It is amazing how much love you can feel for someone you have only just met. I just feel like I want to everything in my power to make her feel happy and loved.

Becoming a father is the biggest, and greatest, thing that has ever happened to me. Period. She has only been with us a short while, yet I can't imagine my life without her now. I guess you never fully understand a parent's love for their children until you have children of your own.

Her life didn't start out quite as we had anticipated. Her mom lost a lot of blood during labor, and had to be taken off to surgery to be stitched and get new blood. From what we were told, she lost about 1,7 liters of blood in total. While she was away with that, I spent time with the newborn. Unfortunately for her, and her parents, they were a bit worried about her as well, so she had to undergo a lot of tests to make sure she was ok. Luckily, everything has been given a green light. :) We had to stay there in hospital a few day extra though, just to be on the safe side, and to allow my wife to recuperate.

The heat has been a bit of a problem for us. The first night back home, we had 28 degrees Celsius in the bedroom. We have had to move in with my wife's parents, while the heat-wave remains as it is cooler in their house than in ours. The heat is really getting to my wife some times though. Which is understandable. It is affecting us all. We're doing our best to make sure the baby is ok as well. Luckily, we've had a couple of days of cooler temperatures as well - which have been welcome. The wind has picked up a little as well, which has helped.

Sofie's parents have been really helpful and kind to take us in like this, and they are such good support to us as we start our new journey as first-time parents. It's a shame that my own parents live so far away, but hopefully they will be able to come see their first grandchild soon.

That is a difference between my wife's parents and my own. For my parents, this is their first grandchild, while for my wife's parents it is their sixth. My wife is 16 and 13 years younger than her siblings, and both of them were also younger than my wife is now when they started having kids, so hence the difference there, and I am the oldest of my parent's two children (I have a younger brother). To put it further into perspective, earlier this summer my wife's niece got married.

So far, she has had days when she's done almost nothing but eating. Such as, for example, yesterday, when she only took short naps between feeding times all day. Today, on the other hand, she's sleeping. They did tell us it would take a few weeks for her to find her rhythm though.

I am going to try and update the blog with new posts when I can. Though how often will depend a bit on the baby, obviously.

See you all on the other side!


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar